Removal of existing gas fire and stone fireplace. Installation of a Wood burning Stove
We were happy with the quality of the work and the fitter Keith and his helper were polite, friendly and kept us informed about what they were doing. They arrived early on the first day without notice, which was OK but could have been difficult if I had been at work. We were less impressed with the store manager. On two occasions (on our initial visit to the shop and when he came to give us a quote for the work) he indicated verbally that when the old fireplace was removed his fitters would make good the plastering around the fireplace. This did not happen because the fitter was not a plasterer. After discussion with the store owner we paid a plasterer to do the necessary work. The written estimate did not mention the plaster work and we should have queried it, but we do feel that we were misled. Despite the fitter taking careful measurements when he removed the old fire, the back hearth he was given to install was too large. This meant he had to gorge into the newly plastered walls to make it fit. Once decorated it will look fine. The final invoice was more than the original estimate (even more if you include the plastering cost). This was partly due to the need for a new Chimney Pot. We were also charged for paint which we knew nothing about and the fitting cost increased with no explanation. All in all we are very pleased with the stove and it looks lovely.
14 November 2012
Response from Dorking Fires and Stoves:
We provide minor plastering/making good. Once the surround had been removed, extensive plastering was required and we are not skilled plasterers. The chamber/builders opening was never discussed. On our written estimate, we did not quote for plastering work. When we measured the builders opening, we were not expecting the chamber to be plastered. The back hearth was slightly to big due the chamber being plastered and thickness of the plaster. We were only able to carry out a chimney check on the day of installation, we needed to replace the pot as there wasn’t one there.