How to deep clean your oven
January 16, 2019
Get Inspired! Check the latest industry expertise and read insider tips from our vetted tradespeople.
Have you completed a project recently? Let your tradesperson know how they did.
We interview and vet all our tradespeople to ensure they meet our high standards.
Grow your business! Check out top tips and expert advice for boosting your reputation online.
Join us and benefit from the millions of potential customers who use Checkatrade to find reliable tradespeople.
Edit your profile, view callback requests and ask for feedback from customers.
January 16, 2019
The turkey’s been roasted, and the last of the festive party food leftovers have been reheated. With all the fun and festivities, it’s unlikely you’ve had the chance to give your oven a much-needed deep clean and let’s be honest, and it’s up there with one of the most hated household cleaning tasks. Rather than put it off even longer, we’ve put together this quick and simple oven cleaning guide that you can follow. If you are not sure you’re up for it yourself don’t forget to check out tips from our professional oven cleaning expert Amy Young of Amazing Ovens
Prevention is better than cure
We’ve all been there – solid black ground on grease and grime that collects on the bottom of your oven. But if you do a daily wipe over after your evening meal with a damp cloth, you should be able to keep the build-up at bay. Pop on your rubber gloves and use a little multi-purpose product every day, and it will help make your deep clean less of a daunting task.
Find Your Expert Oven Cleaner
Find a recommended, reliable and professional oven cleaner in your area now
Pick your products
There are many oven cleaning products out there, but our favourites include:
Oven Pride because of its unique bag cleaning system which offers good results. It’s an easy to use product but make sure you closely follow the instructions and wear the gloves provided.
Teepol oven cleaner is available online only but is so handy to use. Just have a quick spray after every oven use, wipe over and then rinse off with a warm soapy cloth.
Try cleaning naturally
If you can’t choose a product you like, you can also try a more natural way of cleaning using bicarbonate of soda and white wine vinegar. Bicarb is very effective and makes the daunting task of oven cleaning a little easier. All you need to do to get a shining oven is:
If you can’t stand the thought of scrubbing your oven, it’s time to call in the experts. Find out why we always recommend getting an experienced Checkatrade professional in for this activity. The results below speak for themselves.
Amy Young highlights why a professional oven cleaning job is often the best solution:
- It’s easier – Well, of course, it is you’re not putting the effort in someone else is.
- It’s quicker – A typical DIY oven clean be it natural oven cleaner or shop-bought product requires typically an overnight dwell time, professional oven cleaning although less harmful chemicals can generally be completed within 1.5- 3 hours depending on the size and condition of your oven.
- It’s a deeper clean – Shop-bought and homemade oven cleaners usually only clean grease and light buildup but what about carbon? A professional will be able to remove everything, grease, carbon etc. bringing your cooker to a showroom shine.
- Cleaning parts you can’t reach – there are so many different types of door fittings, back panel and fan fixtures that it takes a long time for a professional to learn how to dismantle your oven to reach those areas not easily accessible. So with that in mind, is it a good idea for you to even attempt it? Many times we have had a phone call asking how to reassemble a door! So many parts are easy to get off but to get them back on again is another story. Some parts are tricky, other parts go together easily but can easily be put back wrongly having a negative effect without you knowing, such as if the door glass not being the right way around which could affect how it’s holding the heat or causing damage to the glass without you knowing until it’s too late.
- You will get a better result – A professional clean will give you a better result. In all my experience, my customers have always told me it’s never that clean when I do it!
After months of hard work finding builders, architects and structural engineers, then deciding the minute details of your building project, a planning refusal from your local authority can be a blow. We’ve asked the consumer advice website HomeOwners Alliance what to do next. Obtaining planning permission continues to be a huge barrier to homeowners getting...Continue reading
New research from Checkatrade reveals how 11% of Brits hope to purchase a property following Chancellor Rishi Sunak’s announcement of a temporary Stamp Duty Holiday in June. Potential home movers expect to save an average of £5,219 per person. The study of more than 2,000 British adults found a third (33%) of people plan to...Continue reading
Holiday homes are the latest trend to arise from lockdown, suggests new research from UK’s leading trade directory Checkatrade,* with 30% of Brits considering letting their homes out to staycationers this year. They stand to make a potential £986 million from the Brits planning to splash the cash on holidaying in the homeland this year....Continue reading