Most homeowners have a long list of projects they’d like to do to their home. But time and money often stand in the way.
How do you decide what job to do first, if at all? Here at the HomeOwners Alliance, we have all the tips, tools and advice you need to help you decide.
What you need is a low-cost, high-return project that not only makes your home a more pleasant place to live but increases its value as well. Better still, if the project could take no time at all then, that would be a no-brainer.
Well, last year we asked over 300 members of the Federation of Master Builders from across the country and estate agent members of the Guild of Property Professionals what projects added the most value to a home in the shortest space of time.
Here are the top ten projects that they suggested:
- Creating an open plan kitchen and diner by removing an internal wall can add the most, at an estimated £48,417 in seven days to an averagely priced home in London;
- Building a garden room or outside playroom for the kids can add £35,611 in 14 days to an averagely priced home in Surrey;
- Investing in kitchen improvements such as new flooring, a new worktop and new cabinet doors can add £26,838 in eight days to an averagely priced home in Dorset;
- Converting a cupboard under the stairs into a downstairs toilet can add £26,708 in seven days to an averagely priced home in Surrey;
- Converting part of the master bedroom into an en suite bathroom can add £14,525 in 11 days to an averagely priced home in London;
To read the rest of the list click here
Whatever your project, if you are doing it to add value before selling, make sure you invite your local estate agent round to give their view. They’ll have knowledge of the local market and will be able to tell you what people are buying properties like yours in your area and what features they’re looking for in an ideal home.
Find a builder near you
Tell us what you think
What others think of this cost guide:
Need More Information?