Advice Centre

Get Inspired! Check the latest industry expertise and read insider tips from our vetted tradespeople.

Review a Trade

Have you completed a project recently? Let your tradesperson know how they did.

Search For A Trade

We interview and vet all our tradespeople to ensure they meet our high standards.

Trade Advice Centre

Grow your business! Check out top tips and expert advice for boosting your reputation online.

Join Checkatrade

Join us and benefit from the millions of potential customers who use Checkatrade to find reliable tradespeople.

Login to Your Account

Edit your profile, view callback requests and ask for feedback from customers.

Becoming an insulation professional

August 30, 2019

Insulation is one of the best ways to save energy in a home. According to the Energy Saving Trust, the average three-bedroom semi-detached house could save £310 on energy bills with proper loft and cavity wall insulation. To encourage the installation of insulation, the government launched the  Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme. The scheme requires large gas and electricity suppliers to cover all or part of the cost of energy-efficiency measures. With this, installers have a golden opportunity to take on more jobs and increase revenue. In this article, we explain what you need to know about insulation and the best training courses on offer to those wanting to upskill.

What is the ECO?

It’s a programme launched by the government to help make homes in the UK more energy efficient. The latest scheme was launched in December 2018 and will run until 31 March 2022. The scheme concentrates on helping people with lower incomes who are vulnerable to living in fuel property. Under ECO, grants are available to cover all or part of the cost of energy-efficiency measures. This is good news for installers who are experiencing a rise in demand for energy efficiency improvements, including insulation.

What insulation measures can be installed under ECO?

Those working on existing homes will be glad to hear that loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and internal wall insulation (IWI) systems can be installed under ECO. In fact, almost all forms of insulation are covered under the ECO scheme:

• Cavity Wall Insulation
• Gas Boiler Replacement
• Loft Insulation
• Solid Wall Insulation
• Other heating
cavity wall insulation installation

Do I need qualifications to become an insulation installer?

You don’t need qualifications to become an insulation installer. With that said, some employers might ask for GCSEs in Maths, English or Design and Technology. It’s also good to have an A-Level 2 BTEC First Certificate or Diploma in construction, but again, this is not required. Once you’re in the job, there are qualifications that you should aim to achieve though. It’s smart to start working towards the SVQ/NVQ Level 2 Insulation and Building treatments. This course covers all the most important aspects of the role, including loft insulation, damp proofing and cavity wall insulation.

How do I become an insulation installer?

As mentioned, there are no specific qualifications required to become an insulation installer, but employers will be on the lookout for some experience. You can apply for the job directly or try an apprenticeship. Intermediate apprenticeships in construction insulation and building treatments, or thermal insulation operative intermediate apprenticeships are relevant for those in the trade. It’s also possible to apply directly for insulation jobs, but you’ll need a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card or equivalent to work on site.

Grow your business

Join Checkatrade today

What training courses are on offer to insulation installers?

There are now several excellent wall insulation courses on offer to those looking to enter the field. City & Guilds offer courses for the installation of external and internal wall insulation. Additional training providers also offer insulation training, such as Goldtrowel UK Ltd and AbleSkills. Usually, these run for around five to six days and will cost between £500-£2000. Booking onto either course will put you well on your way to becoming SVQ/NVQ Level 2 qualified in Insulation and Building treatments.

  • Was this Helpful?
  • YesNo

Search through our 39,000 recommended, vetted and monitored trades and service providers for free

Search now

More in this category

TradeTrade News

New trade start up: Everything you need to know about setting up a business

As a start up, navigating the world of business is a daunting task. In the trade sector, standing out from the crowd is a matter of risk assessing, forward planning and laying the groundwork for success. ‘How to start up a business?’ is something every budding entrepreneur types into a search engine at least once....

Continue reading

TradeTrade News

Dealing with the professional non-payer

The ‘professional non-payer’ is an unfortunate truth in the world of trade, and it’s crippling for small businesses. The scenario goes a little something like this: A tradesperson agrees to carry out some work for a client. They go in and complete the job with no issues raised. The tradesperson sends over an invoice, but...

Continue reading
Use Instagram to showcase your business

TradeTrade News

How to use Instagram to showcase your work

Did you know that 200 million Instagram users visit at least one business profile daily? Whatever trade you work in, having an Instagram account to showcase your work will help to raise awareness of your business and promote your services. It will also boost your credibility and show potential customers that you’re a trustworthy professional...

Continue reading