In partnership with Suffolk Trading Standards
Suffolk Trading Standards are working in partnership with Checkatrade to provide a recommended trader scheme to help Suffolk consumers choose a trader they can trust and rely upon.
Each trader under this scheme undergoes a rigorous vetting procedure that includes:
- An interview carried out by Checkatrade at the trader's home or permanent place of work.
- Rigorous background checks carried out by Trading Standards, including a review of confidential and restricted information supplied by external organisations, other public authorities and the police in addition to checking information that is freely available to the public.
- Public Liability Insurance check.
- Identification checks.
- Advice on and commitment to use correct documentation for example invoices, contracts etc.
- A Criminal Background Check of the owner / responsible person of the business.
- Accreditation and Qualification checks.
- Verification of trading address.
- Customer reference checks.
In addition to this Checkatrade continuously monitors each trader via feedback received from their customers. The main benefit of the partnership is to allow residents to choose a trader they can trust and rely upon, that has not only been vetted by Checkatrade but also checked by Trading Standards.
When a consumer chooses a trader that has the County Council “Trading Standards Approved” logo they know that they will get a reputable, credible trader that has not only been vetted by Checkatrade but also checked by Trading Standards.
Feedback on traders is really important to Checkatrade. Consumers can view feedback that has been left by previous customers when looking for a suitable trader.
They can then leave feedback about their own experience when the job is completed. This can either be done online or by completing and sending back a freepost reputation report card which the trader will provide.
Traders are monitored continuously by Checkatrade, if any issues should arise depending on the severity of the problem a trader maybe suspended or removed from the scheme entirely.
Suffolk County Council in partnership with Checkatrade are committed to protecting consumers, supporting legitimate business and solving the UK’s rogue trade problem.
Trading Standards Approved means that an approved business understands they are required to adhere to certain trading laws.
Checks have been carried out by Trading Standards using partner agencies, intelligence databases and trading history.
Any approval given by Suffolk Trading Standards is given in good faith and on the basis of the information available to Suffolk Trading Standards at the time it is given. Traders are expected to act responsibly and deal with their customers fairly and honestly.
Consumers always have the opportunity to reflect this when giving feedback.
Suffolk Trading Standards will not be liable to any user of the Checkatrade scheme for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise as a result of any reliance being placed on a Suffolk Trading Standards approval.