Wiring a Cooker Via an Isolating Switch | Checkatrade
Request a quote
Review a Trade

Have you completed a project recently? Let your tradesperson know how they did.

Advice Centre

Get Inspired! Check the latest industry expertise and read insider tips from our vetted tradespeople.

Search For A Trade

We interview and vet all our tradespeople to ensure they meet our high standards.

Join Checkatrade

Join us and benefit from the millions of potential customers who use Checkatrade to find reliable tradespeople.

Advice Centre

Grow your business! Check out top tips and expert advice for boosting your reputation online.

Login To Your Account

Edit your profile, view callback requests and ask for feedback from customers.

Wiring a cooker via an isolating switch – which is the load and which is the feed?

Wiring a cooker is not recommended as a DIY task, especially for those unsure which is the feed (the cable from the fuse box) and the load (the cable supplying the appliance).

Faulty electrical installations can cause injuries and fatalities. This is why the government introduced Part P into the building regulations; to protect homeowners from unsafe electrical installation work.

Which is the load and which is the feed?

When you’re wiring a cooker via an isolating switch, the load is the cable supplying the appliance once you’ve switched the isolator to the ‘on’ position. Meanwhile, the feed is the cable from your fuse board, which supplies power to the isolator switch.

Normally, the top is the feed and the bottom is the load. However, different switches work differently so this can vary based on the manufacturer. The feed and load should be labelled to help you tell which is which, so look carefully to be sure.

Just bear in mind that wiring a cooker should be carried out by a qualified Part P certified electrician. If you have experience and are confident to wire your cooker, you are permitted to do so. But the work must be signed off by a certified electrician.

Checkatrade approved electrician

Find a Part P certified electrician

A qualified electrician will be able to make sure your cooker is installed safely and that it meets the necessary regulations.

To find a qualified, registered electrician quickly and easily, search our leading directory of approved tradespeople now.

Search your postcode to find your local trade

Tell us what you think

Please note, you cannot leave a review, or contact a tradesperson by commenting.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

What others think of this article:

No comments yet!

Also in this project