Last updated on March 31st, 2022
Cat6 cable installation cost
If you’re wondering what “cat6 cable” is, it’s a type of twisted pair Ethernet cabling that’s commonly used to create home and business networks. In this guide, we look at the average cat6 cable installation cost in the UK.
What is Cat6 cabling?
A Cat6 cable is a type of Ethernet cabling that’s commonly used to create home and business networks. In this guide, we look at the average cat6 cable installation cost in the UK.
Although more common in offices, Cat6 cabling is sometimes used in homes to create a local area network (LAN) where multiple computers will need to share files and data.
How much does it cost to install a Cat6 cable?
|Item||Unit||Range - Low||Range - High||Average cost|
|Single data points||Per data point||£40||£100||£70|
|Double data points||Per data point||£75||£140||£110|
|Cat6 cable (materials only)||Per 1,000ft||£165||£180||£175|
Our costs are ballpark averages – get a local tradesperson to quote now
The cost to install a Cat6 cable will vary depending on the number of data points that need to be installed, the length of cabling needed, and how complex the installation job is. The more data points you have, the less you typically pay per data point.
The average Cat6 installation cost can range from £40 – £100 per data point, for single data points. The cost to install Cat6 cable with double data points ranges from £75 – £140 per data point.
The cost of the Cat6 cable itself is usually in the region of £165 – £180 per 1,000 feet.
Factors affecting Cat6 cable installation cost
There are a number of factors that will affect the total price you pay for installing Cat6 cable, including:
- The total number of data points you want to have installed
- The length of cabling required to create the finished network
- The complexity of the installation
- Type of building (office, warehouse, school, apartment, etc)
- Any false ceiling or floor that needs to be installed to house the cabling
- Time of installation – out of hours work will cost more
- Access to the building
The cost of a Cat6 cable per foot
The average cost of a Cat6 cable is around £180 for 1,000 feet of cabling. That works out to be around £0.18 per foot. This total cost depends on various factors, so it’s worth speaking to local cat6 installation experts to get quotes with accurate prices in your area.
The cost to run a Cat6 cable in a house
If you’re looking to use a Cat6 cable to create a home network in your house, you’re looking at an average installation cost of around £150 – £200.
To find out more, check out our guide to home network installation costs.
Why install a Cat6 cable in your house?
There are a number of reasons for installation an Ethernet network in your home using cat6 cable:
- Cabled networks have faster internet and more reliable connectivity.
- Sharing data between computers and devices on the same network is faster and more efficient.
- Working from home on a cabled network is more reliable.
- You have a greater level of security with sharing information on a physically cabled network.
- Cabled networks can improve your home WiFi range to solve any blackspots you may have.
Cat6 cable installation quotes
We always recommend obtaining at least three quotes from our trusted tradespeople. Our request a quote feature is perfect for getting quotes – you post details about the job you want doing and we’ll send it out to local tradespeople in your area. Try it out!