Why install a polished concrete floor?
There is a common misconception that polished concrete floors are cold and slippery. In reality, these floors can be finished to ensure they are non-slip and comfortable for bare feet. Polished concrete floors can even support underfloor heating to create a feeling of delicious warmth in the colder months. Because of this, polished concrete floor costs are well worth the money.
Sleek and striking, these floors are designed to complement both contemporary and industrial aesthetics, perfect for a range of interior themes. Polished concrete floors will also make a fantastic and unique feature in any home, particularly in modern kitchens and bathrooms.
Not only do these floors look amazing, they offer a number of practical benefits, including excellent durability. Intrigued? Keep reading to discover the average polished concrete floor cost as well as their benefits and other considerations to bear in mind.
How much does a polished concrete floor cost?
|Type of flooring||Cost + VAT |
(Range low - high)
|Polished concrete floor cost||From £1,950 (40m2)|
|Polished concrete floor cost per square metre||£120 - £150||£135|
|Polished concrete floor cost per square foot||£1.50 - £11.50||£6.50|
|Polished concrete garage floor cost||£760 - £3,426||£2,093|
|Polished concrete bathroom floor cost||£153 - £455||£304|
Polished concrete floors are a great way of showcasing your home to guests. In fact, despite looking expensive these floors are quite affordable. Of course, the price you pay will depend on a range of variables (more on this later) so it’s always worth taking the time to do your research before setting a savings goal.
The average cost of a polished concrete floor is £1,950 (for a 40m2 floor).
Benefits of polished concrete floors
With such a huge range of advantages, polished concrete floors are a wise choice for any homeowner. The following are a few of their best benefits:
- Highly durable, they are designed to be long-lasting.
- Very little maintenance is required.
- They are the perfect finishing touch for a modern or contemporary room.
- Polished concrete floors are also very versatile.
- They work well with underfloor heating.
- They can even reflect light for a stunning effect.
- These floors are available in a variety of colours and finishes.
- When sealed, polished concrete floors can be waterproof, anti-slip and resistant to stains.
Find a vetted polished concrete specialist near you
As we mentioned above, the price you can expect to pay for your polished concrete flooring will be impacted by several factors. Below we have summarised the key variables:
- Size of the room: The larger the room, the higher the material and labour costs will be.
- Adding structural layers: In order to properly finish a polished concrete floor, it’s important to add structural layers. This can push up the amount you pay.
- Underfloor heating: To ensure a warm and comforting experience when walking over a concrete floor, underfloor heating can be added. This will increase the cost of your polished concrete floor
- Depth of excavation: Excavation is essential to create a stable floor that will not shift and crack. The deeper your floor needs to be excavated to the higher the polished concrete floor cost will be.
- The condition of the current floor: You will need to pay for the current floor to be removed plus any extra fixes to allow your new polished concrete floor to be flat, smooth and structurally sound.
- Finish: Finishes like polishes, coatings and seals can increase the life of your floor but will incur extra costs.
Polished concrete floor costs by job type
Polished concrete floor cost per square metre
It’s very common for tradespeople to give you a quote for your polished concrete floor based on how many square metres it covers. The average polished concrete floor cost per square metre is £135.
Polished concrete floor cost per square foot
Some professionals prefer to use square feet rather than square metres. You can still expect to pay similar prices overall so don’t panic if you’re given a quote on this basis. The average polished concrete floor cost per square foot is £6.50.
Polished concrete garage floor cost
Installing a new garage floor can really enhance the appearance of your garage. Polished concrete works well in garages as it’s durable and versatile. The average polished concrete garage floor cost is £2,093.
Polished concrete bathroom floor cost
Choosing a polished concrete floor for your bathroom is an excellent way of transforming the room. Your finished bathroom will have a modern or industrial feel with an expensive-looking finish. The average polished concrete bathroom floor cost is £304.
Polished concrete floors residential cost
Polished concrete is a wise choice for any residential setting. It can help tie together an aesthetic as well as being durable and easy to maintain. The average polished concrete floors residential cost starts at £1,950 for 40m2.
It’s always fun and fulfilling to learn a new DIY skill. Installing a polished concrete floor however, is a technique that is difficult to master. Unless you have training or experience, it’s very tricky to achieve a professional finish. In addition, you would need to ensure you had reached a completely level and smooth surface, which is very hard to do.
Furthermore, if you do not do a good job, the floor may crack over time. Not only does this look terrible but it could pose a tripping hazard to you and your family. It may be a better idea to have the floor installed by a tradesperson then save yourself some money by sealing it as a DIY job.
To achieve a flawless finish, we would recommend hiring a professional. To find a local, reputable, tradesperson in your area and get a personalised polished concrete floor installation quote use our free search feature.
What other types of concrete floor are there?
If you’re swayed by the functional benefits of concrete floors but the polished finish is not for you, there are a number of other options including:
- Stone effect
How should I maintain a polished concrete floor?
Maintenance of your polished concrete floor is essential to keep your new feature looking its best and lasting for years to come. Always ensure you sweep up any dirt or crumbs as well as mopping on a regular basis.
Keeping your floor clean is important, as is using wax or sealant to protect your floor from many types of damage. This should be done regularly.
Useful polished concrete floor checklist
- Polished concrete floors are durable, easy to maintain and look great as a feature in most interior themes.
- The average polished concrete floor cost is reasonable enough to fit most people’s budgets.
- The size of the space, condition of the current floor and whether you want to add a finish all affect the cost of polished concrete floors.
- You may be given a quote based on the number of square metres your floor measures.
- Installing a polished concrete floor is very tricky and best left to professionals.
Also in this project
Cost of sealing concrete floors
Concrete floors offer all kinds of benefits, from durability to easy maintenance...
Floor tiling cost guide
Adding a tiled floor can transform a room – here’s how to make the best choi...
Amtico flooring cost guide
Amtico flooring comes in a huge variety of patterns and colours, including imita...
Tell us what you think
What others think of this cost guide:
Need More Information?