Last updated on May 25th, 2022
Rug cleaning cost guide
There are a number of reasons why you might be looking for a professional rug cleaning service. Moving out of a rented property, cleaning a particularly stubborn stain, or a good spring clean can all call for a deep clean of your rug.
Portable rug cleaning machines are available to hire, but in this guide, we’re focusing on the costs of using a professional rug cleaning service.
|Steam cleaning (including stain protection)||Small rug||£19
|Steam cleaning (including stain protection)||Large rug||£33|
|Dry rug cleaning||Small rug||£27|
|Dry rug cleaning||Large rug||£56|
|Sheepskin rug cleaning||Single skin||£27|
|Sheepskin rug cleaning||Double skin||£54|
|Cotton or synthetic rug cleaning||Per m2||£10|
|Wool rug cleaning||Per m2||£15|
|Viscoe, rayon or silk rug cleaning||Per m2||£20|
|Persian rug cleaning||Per m2||£30|
Our costs are ballpark averages – get a local tradesperson to quote now
How much does professional rug cleaning cost?
As with many professional services, the costs can vary depending on a number of factors. The most common influences that will affect the price of professional rug cleaning include:
- Size and age of the rug
- Fabric it’s made from
Average professional rug cleaning cost: £19 – £27 (small rug) or £33 – £56 (large rug)
There are a number of professional rug cleaning options available, depending on the type of rug and degree of dirt and stains. The most common are:
- Steam cleaning — used for rugs made of durable fabrics and for thorough disinfection.
- Dry cleaning — popular for silk rugs and other fabrics that require lighter treatment.
- Foam cleaning — no liquids are used, making it suitable for rugs that would otherwise be at risk of shrinking and tearing (e.g. suede, linen and 100% wool).
- Cold water extraction cleaning — many green cleaning advocates encourage the use of cold water as it won’t release fumes and generally uses considerably less energy.
- Deep cleaning — suitable for old and very soiled rugs.
Delicate rugs, such as wool rugs, silk rugs, Oriental rugs and Persian rugs, require individual attention, which will affect the cleaning cost. Therefore, it’s important to speak to a local rug cleaning expert for professional advice and an accurate rug cleaning cost.
Professional oriental rug cleaning cost: £30 per m2
Average Persian rug cleaning cost: £30 per m2
Average wool rug cleaning cost: £15 per m2
Find recommended local rug cleaners
Benefits of professional rug cleaning
Although there are DIY options for cleaning your beloved rug, there are a number of benefits that come with using a professional rug cleaning service:
- Professionals use specialist tools and high-quality products that cater for all rug types.
- They’re skilled at removing stains from delicate fabrics without damaging them.
- Rug cleaning experts know how to remove stains and odours whilst preserving the dyes and colours.
- Hiring a professional rug cleaner reduces the risks of shrinkage, fraying or other permanent damage.
- Taking professional care of your rug will extend its life.
Do I need to hire a professional rug cleaner?
This will depend on the type of rug you have and the condition it’s in. If you have a heavily soiled or delicate rug (Persian, antique, silk, etc) then we would highly recommend you hire a professional rug cleaner.
Some modern rugs made of more durable or synthetic fabrics can be cleaned to a decent standard using DIY methods (off-the-shelf products or hiring a portable rug cleaning machine), but it’s still worth speaking to a professional for advice first.
Useful rug cleaning checklist
- Start by speaking to a local rug cleaning expert to get advice about the best options for your rug.
- Be curious about the cleaning methods they use to understand which one suits your rug.
- Ask about eco-friendly cleaning services that don’t use strong chemicals.
- Take photos of your rug in good lighting so that a professional rug cleaner can provide you with a more accurate quote.
- Always shop around for fair and competitive rug cleaning prices.
Find recommended local rug cleaners