Last updated on July 5th, 2022
Shelving cost guide
There are so many different kinds of shelving out there, both pre-fabricated and custom-built, that working out your shelving costs can be a bit of a minefield.
Don’t worry, we’ve broken it all down here for you.
Custom shelving cost
Your shelving costs will depend on a number of factors, including:
- Whether you’re purchasing pre-fabricated or custom-built shelving.
- What kind of shelves you’re after (eg. floating or bracketed).
- How deep and wide the shelves need to be.
- How much weight the shelves need to hold.
- What materials and fittings are used.
- Where you live.
|Item||Average UK cost|
|Supply and fix 6 x 200mm deep shelves into alcove||£390|
|Build an MDF shelving unit with 2 door cupboard into alcove||£1,400|
|Apply 3 coats of acrylic paint||£220|
|Assemble and fix 1 floating IKEA shelf||£80|
|Labour (per day)||£250|
Our costs are ballpark averages – get a local tradesperson to quote now
If you want somebody to help you fit a pre-bought floating shelf, you can expect to pay around £80. For the supply and fix of 6 x 200mm deep shelves into an alcove, you can expect to pay around £390.
On the other hand, if you choose to get custom-made shelves, the cost will vary considerably based on what look you’re after.
As a ballpark, if you’re looking for a carpenter to build an MDF shelving unit with a two door cupboard into an alcove, you can expect to pay £1,400. To have it painted with three coats of acrylic paint, you should budget around £220.
We’d always recommend getting multiple quotes to compare.
Compact shelving cost
Compact shelving, also known as mobile shelving, is a shelving system that’s commonly used in libraries and archives. It allows you to store lots of items in a small floor space, using a system of moving bookcases.
When you’re working out compact shelving costs, it’s easiest to calculate how much you’d be spending for the same amount of regular shelving. Then, multiply that number by three or four.
As you can see, compact shelving is a lot more expensive than regular shelving. But it’s also a lot cheaper than buying or renting more space. So, if you have a lot of books, files or other items, it can be a great solution.
Shelving cost key takeaways
- Save on labour by buying pre-fabricated bookshelves.
- Premium materials and fittings will add to the cost.
- Factors such as the size of the shelves and how much weight they need to hold will affect the total shelving cost.
- Compact shelving is a common way of saving space in non-domestic settings.