How to find a double glazing installer
Whether you’re upgrading from single glazing to double glazing, planning uPVC window installation, or you need to replace your existing double glazed windows and doors, you’ll want to find a good local double glazing installer.
Whether you’re upgrading from single glazing to double glazing, planning uPVC window installation, or you need to replace your existing double glazed windows and doors, you’ll want to find a good local double glazing installer. Being confident that you’re hiring one of the best double glazing companies in the area will give you peace of mind that your windows will be fitted to the highest standards.
In this guide, we look at tips for finding good double glazing installers and we’ll give you advice on how to choose the best double glazing companies for the job. Keep reading to find out more.
Where to find a good double glazing installer
Let’s start by looking at where you should look to find the best local tradespeople for installing double glazed windows and doors in your area.
1. Use our handy online search
Our handy search is a quick and easy way to find the best double glazing fitters near you. Each of them have been checked and approved by us to make sure they can do what they say they can do, and are qualified.
You can also see photos of their previous work on their Checkatrade profile, along with reviews by their customers.
Alternatively, you can use our request a quote feature to post details about the job you want doing and we’ll send it out to three local double glazing fitters for you.
2. Ask friends and family for recommendations
Another good way to find good double glazing installers in your area is to ask your friends and family. Speak to people you know and trust and see if they’ve worked with any good double glazing companies.
3. Ask other tradespeople for recommendations
Reliable tradespeople like to work with other reliable tradespeople so, if you’ve worked with other tradespeople who’ve done a great job for you, ask them to recommend the best double glazing companies in your area. Chances are high that any good local electricians, plumbers, builders or other tradespeople will be more than happy to recommend double glazing installers for the job.
4. Check double glazing trade associations
Most reputable double glazing installers and double glazing companies will be members of a trade association, such as the Glass and Glazing Federation (GGF), Double Glazing & Conservatory Ombudsman Scheme (DGCOS) or the Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme (FENSA).
Belonging to an association like this is typically a sign of a good quality double glazing fitter with a professional attitude and dedication to their work.
How to find the best double glazing companies
Once you’ve found double glazing installers, you’ll want to choose the best double glazing company when you come to decide on who to hire. Here are some of the things to help you choose a good double glazing fitter:
- Choose a double glazing installer with lots of local experience doing work that is similar to what you’ll be hiring them to do
- Always read their reviews to see what previous customers are saying about them – the odd negative review is OK, as long as the majority are very positive, just look at the context
- Ask for multiple quotes to compare to make sure you’re being quoted fair and competitive prices for the work
- Ask to view examples of their previous work in your area so you can see their workmanship
- Meet with them in person before hiring them to get a feel for their attitude and how well you get on
- Always ask for customer references and follow up on them to get a good feel for how they work and the level of service you can expect
How much does a double glazing installer cost?
The cost of a double glazing installer will depend on the size of the job, the number of doors and windows, and the quality of the materials being used. To help you plan a budget, here are some of the average prices you can expect to pay when it comes to the cost of double glazed doors and windows:
- 2 uPVC doors + 8 uPVC windows installation – £4,500
- 2 uPVC doors + 15 uPVC windows installation – £6,500
- 2 uPVC doors + 20 windows uPVC windows installation – £7,500
To find out more about prices, check out our guide to double glazing costs.
12 questions to ask double glazing companies
Once you have a double glazing installer or double glazing company that you think could be a good fit for the job, it’s a good idea to meet with them in person to discuss the project. You can then take the opportunity to ask questions to get a good feel for how they work and the service they offer.
Here are some example questions that you might find useful to ask them:
- How long have you been working in double glazing?
- Are your fitters employed or subcontractors?
- Are your doors/windows/conservatories manufactured in the UK?
- Do you have a showroom where I can see samples?
- Are you a member of a trade association?
- Do you offer a customer satisfaction guarantee for your work?
- Do you offer a warranty for your work?
- Can you provide me with references from previous customers?
- Do you have the relevant insurance policies and provide valid certificates?
- What are the energy-saving and eco-friendly features that you can offer for the project?
- How long will it take to complete the work?
- How much will it cost, and what are the payment terms?
Who are the best double glazing companies?
That depends on who you ask. The best double glazing companies in your area will be the ones who can offer an excellent level of service, have lots of positive customer reviews, and provide you with clear and friendly communication from the first contact. To find the best double glazing companies near you, use our online search now.