Experiencing poor drainage can be a real pain for homeowners, and dealing with it means understanding the problem. That’s where CCTV drain surveys can help. In this guide we look at the average CCTV drain survey cost in the UK.
If you’ve recently bought a new property or have issues with your existing home, a CCTV drain survey will help you determine whether there’s a blockage or damage to the drains.
These surveys are carried out by professional camera engineers who can do a full drain survey in one day. The report they provide will let you know the status of all your pipes and drains.
|Item||Range - Low||Range - High||Average cost|
|Average CCTV drain survey||-||-||£90|
|Basic CCTV drain survey||£65||£165||£90|
|Full CCTV drain survey with report||£200||£350||£275|
What is a CCTV drain survey?
A CCTV drain survey is a full, in-depth inspection of a drainage system. By using special CCTV cameras are inserted into the drains and provide a live feed. The engineers carrying out the survey will then be able to see the state of the drains and identify any issues.
Drain surveys are important to carry out if you suspect drain blockages or damage to the pipework. It’s also sensible to plan a survey if you’re buying an old property to ensure there are no existing problems with the drainage system.
CCTV drain surveys require the use of hi-tech equipment by experienced engineers, so it’s worth speaking to your local drain experts for more detailed information.
The average cost of drain camera inspection is about £90. Local drain experts will usually offer two types of survey. A basic CCTV drain survey will cost around £65 to £165. For a full CCTV drain survey with report the price is in the region of £200 to £350.
Engineers can often remove minor drain blockages while they’re carrying out the drain survey, and will usually include them in the cost.
The price you’ll pay for your CCTV drain survey will be affected by a number of factors. They include:
- Size of property
- Complexity of the drainage system
- Number and type of blockages
- Type of survey
- Where you live
Find a CCTV drain survey expert near you
When considering a drain survey, it’s useful to consider the extent of the survey to understand the potential cost of the camera inspection of your drains.
Basic CCTV drain survey
The basic drain survey will involve an investigation with the survey, following that the engineers will describe what the issues are. It’s effectively an exploration only, so you won’t get a report or any of the CCTV footage from the survey.
Full CCTV drain survey with report
The most comprehensive CCTV drain survey includes the basic exploration, but it also comes with a detailed written report and you’ll get a copy of the CCTV footage. The full drain survey report will typically include the following:
- A condition report for all the drains on your property
- A map of all the drains
- Still images and video footage
When do I need a CCTV drain survey?
CCTV drain surveys can be very effective in a number of situations, including:
- Your home is regularly experiencing drain blockages
- You’re planning an extension and would like a map of the drain and pipe system.
- You suspect you have a broken pipe and want to know the exact location.
- A pipe needs relining and you want to know the length and route of the pipe.
- General buildup of waste
- Collapse of the drain pipe at a specific location
- Cracked pipe
Can I carry out a CCTV drain survey myself?
No. Due to the specialist equipment and experience needed to carry out a CCTV drain survey, it’s not a job that you can do yourself. Speak to your local drain survey experts to find out the services they offer and get quotes with accurate prices.
Useful CCTV drain survey checklist
- CCTV drain surveys aren’t suitable for a DIY job.
- Most drain experts will remove minor blockages as part of the CCTV survey cost.
- When buying an old property it’s a good idea to have a CCTV drain survey done.
- Speak to local drain experts for professional advice and accurate prices.
- Always shop around for fair and competitive prices.
- When hiring a tradesperson, choose a professional with relevant experience and qualifications/accreditations.
Find a CCTV drain survey expert near you
Tell us what you think
What others think of this cost guide:
Need More Information?