Last updated on August 25th, 2022
Cost to replace light switch
What are the factors that influence the cost to install a light switch?
There are a number of factors that could affect the cost of installing a light switch:
- What finish you choose: Adding a dimmer switch instead of a conventional light switch or opting for a chrome finish will cost more.
- How many switches need replacing: Most electricians charge a minimum of half a day’s labour, so getting just one light switch replaced won’t be economical.
- Whether your electrician works in a pair: Many electricians work in pairs for safety reasons. An electrician’s day rate is around £320 per person.
- Whether you’re replacing, adding or moving switches: In general, replacing a light switch like-for-like will cost less than installing a new switch.
Cost of replacing a light switch
|Cost provided item||Typical UK cost + VAT|
|Replace a light switch like-for-like||£75|
|Move a light switch||£150|
|Add a light switch||£150|
|Replace 5 light switches like-for-like||£100|
|Add 5 light switches||£250|
Our costs are ballpark averages – get a local tradesperson to quote now
Replacing a light switch like-for-like typically costs around £75 (including materials). Although the job will only take around an hour, most electricians will charge for a minimum of half a day’s work.
On the other hand, replacing five light switches (or plug sockets) like-for-like will cost around £100 and take around two to three hours. As you can see, it’s much more cost-effective to replace more than one light switch at a time (or to get your electrician in for more than one job).
How much does it cost to install a light switch?
If you’re hoping to install a new light switch or to move one to a new position, you can expect to pay around £150 - £200 (including materials and a quick replastering job where necessary).
Unlike a simple light switch replacement, these options usually involve additional wiring, tapping into existing cables, adding a new junction box, cutting into the wall and plasterwork. So, it’s no surprise that the cost is higher.
Cost to install a light switch summary
- It’s more economical to replace a number of light switches or plug sockets at once.
- The cost to replace a light switch like-for-like is approximately £75.
- The cost to move or install a new light switch is approximately £150 - £200.
- The average day rate for an electrician is £320.
Ready to get that light switch installed? Use our free search tool to find a trusted electrician near you.