Last updated on August 31st, 2022
Average car door repair cost guide
With this in mind, following a difficult experience, the last thing you want to worry about is your car door repair cost and whether you’re paying above average. That’s why this guide is designed to take the stress out of mending a broken car door.
|Type of repair||Cost + VAT |
(Range low - high)
|Average car door repair cost||£113 - £755||£434|
|Car door repair cost (dents or dings)||£120 - £200||£160|
|Car door repair cost (scratches)||£60 - £240||£150|
|Car door repair cost (replacement door)||£264 - £1,132||£698|
Our costs are ballpark averages – get a local tradesperson to quote now
Average car door repair cost
While repairs may be covered by your car insurance, you will need to pay an excess and it’s worth noting that your premiums will likely go up. This is particularly true if the damage was your fault. A good alternative that may work out cheaper in the long run, is to pay for the repairs yourself.
The average cost of a car door repair is Per m2, compared to an average cost of car door repair for scratches at £150, car door replacement at £698 on average and between £120 - £200 for car door dent repair cost.
Common types of car damage
Cars are made to be sturdy and protect you from injury. However, with the speeds they travel at, it’s inevitable that accidents will happen. The following are all common types of damage that motorists should look out for:
- Window cracks
- Punctured tires
- Damaged central locking
- Broken wing mirrors
- Damaged alloy wheels (see our alloy wheel refurbishment cost guide)
How can car doors be damaged?
You may have accidentally knocked your door into a wall or lamppost or have scraped a fence as you drove past. The damage may not even be your fault. Other drivers often make mistakes causing scratches and dents to your car. In fact, some people deliberately set out to damage cars before running away.
Your car door can even break on its own, for example, the locking mechanism could freeze. Not only can damages lead to future issues, but they also look terrible, so fixing any problems as soon as possible is important. Whether the damage was your fault or not, paying for the repairs can be expensive and cause a lot of stress.
Benefits of car door repair
Of the above types of damage, some will affect the look of your vehicle and others its ability to function. While both types of damage will need to be repaired, some are more urgent than others. Repairing your car door will:
- Keep your car looking its best.
- Prevent further damage from rust.
- Maximise profits if selling your car.
- Ensure you remain safe in your vehicle.
Factors affecting average car door repair costs
Whether your car door repair quote falls in at the higher or lower end of the range will depend on a range of variables. Some will have a greater impact than others, but each will alter the total car door repair cost. Influencing factors include:
- Type of damage: Dents, scratches and broken locking mechanisms will all have different repair prices.
- Make and model of car: The make and model of your vehicle will impact the price you pay for parts and repairs.
- The extent of damage: More extensive and severe damage will be more expensive to fix than small dents or scratches. You may even need to completely replace your car door.
- Repainting: Once the damage has been remedied, you may need to have your car door repainted to match the rest of the vehicle. This may come at an extra cost.
- Quality of the repair: You will usually get what you pay for when it comes to car repair. Better quality repairs will be more expensive but will look better, last longer and be more durable.
- The part of the door that is damaged: From the handle to the locking mechanism and the window, each part of your car door will cost a different amount to fix.
- Age and condition of the car: Old, damaged car doors will have different repair prices to new versions.
Other car door repair costs
Scratch on car door repair cost
As we mentioned above, you can expect to pay differing amounts for different types of damage to your car door. The average cost to fix minor dents or scratches is quite affordable so it’s definitely worth having these repaired.
Slightly more expensive, dents or dings have an average car door repair cost of £160. Scratches have a wider range of prices, starting as low as £60.
The average scratch on car door repair cost is £150.
Car door replacement cost
Today, mechanics are able to mend a wide variety of car door issues using modern technology for quick and easy repairs. However, in certain extreme circumstances, the damage to your car door may be too severe to fix, meaning you need a whole new car door.
The average cost of a car door replacement is £698.
How much to repair a dent in car door?
The average cost to fix a dent in a car door will depend on the severity of the dent, but you’re looking at between £120 - £200 for car door dent repair cost.
Costs will also depend on the make and model of the car, and where you are geographically (prices skew higher in London) but it’s worth having in mind the ballpark figure of an average cost of £160 to fix a dent in a car door.
Can I repair a car door myself?
Before considering tackling this project as a DIY job, please review the below important points:
- If you don’t know what you are doing, you risk making the damage worse.
- You will likely need specialist tools.
- It’s unlikely you will achieve a professional finish.
- If the car door is not properly repaired this could lead to future issues.
- You may be able to repair small dents yourself, but scratches and further damage should be dealt with by a professional.
- It can be very difficult to match paint colours.
Due to the skills needed for this job, we would recommend hiring a professional. To find a local, reputable, tradesperson in your area and get a personalised car door repair quote use our free search feature.
How long will it take to repair a car door?
Most minor issues will usually be fixed in less than a day and some repair companies will even come to your location to mend your car door. It’s always worth checking the correct route to take with your insurance company before proceeding.
Am I covered by my car insurance company?
This will often depend on the level of cover you have and the cause of the damage. For example, some types of insurance won’t cover you for damage you have caused to another driver. It’s a good idea to look into your coverage level as you may be covered for any accidental damage you do to other drivers, fences etc.
Always consider that you will need to pay your excess for any claims and that your insurance premium will probably increase. Also bear in mind that you will likely lose your no claims bonus.
Useful car door repair checklist
- It’s important to repair your car door after any damage to protect it from future issues and keep it looking its best.
- The car door repair cost you pay could be as low as £113.
- Car door dent repair cost will depend on the severity of the dent but on average will be around £160.
- Factors including the make of your vehicle, the type of damage and the severity of the damage will all affect your average car door repair cost.
- If the damage to your car door is too major, you may need to replace the entire door.
- DIY repair is not recommended due to the complexity and risks involved.