Why install bifold doors?
Making the decision to install bifold doors can be confusing and complicated due to the wealth of information available, however it is also an exciting way to transform a living space.
This guide covers the different options and their pros and cons, a breakdown of the cost to install bifold doors and the factors that affect them, plus handy tips to help you take the next step towards your perfect home.
Bifold doors offer a multitude of benefits throughout the year, whether open or closed:
- During colder months they flood your inside space with light and give excellent views of your garden.
- During warmer weather you have the option to open up a whole wall of your home. This not only allows fresh air to fill your home but seamlessly blends inside and outside for a fantastic, extended living space.
- Other reasons to install bifold doors include adding value to your home, replacing damaged or old doors, or even saving space compared to other doors.
All in all, bifold doors are a wise choice and offer so much in terms of aesthetics and practicality.
How much does it cost to install bifold doors?
|Door type||Cost + VAT |
(Range low - high)
|Aluminium doors||£2,300 - £5,350||£3,825|
|UPVC doors (3 - 5 panels)||£1,650 - £4,300||£2,975|
|Timber doors (3 - 5 panels)||£1,400 - £5,500||£3,400|
|Bifold doors installation cost (6 foot)||£2,000 - £2,300||£2,150|
|Bifold doors installation cost (8 foot)||£2,200 - £2,500||£2,350|
|Bifold doors installation cost (10 foot)||£2,500 - £2,800||£2,650|
|Cost of installing bifold patio doors||From £900|
|Labour costs (Small to Large door)||£600 - £1,000||£800|
Bifold doors are becoming more and more popular for their stylish, classy appearance and as an energy efficient, easy to maintain entryway option. As such the cost to install bifold doors is a little more costly than other options, but they are definitely worth the investment.
The average price to install bifold doors is £2,400.
The average time to install bifold doors is usually less than a day.
The main types of bifold doors and their benefits
The most common material types used for bifold doors are uPVC and aluminium however composite and timber options are available too. Each material has its own benefits and we have compiled the following list to help you choose the perfect door for you: –
- Aluminium – If aesthetics are important to you, aluminium doors are the best option. With a modern, chic appearance, these bifold doors need little maintenance but can be expensive. Furthermore, they are energy efficient and extremely strong.
- uPVC – The cheapest option and perfect for those on a tight budget. uPVC doors are durable and available in a large choice of colours and styles.
- Timber – Although difficult to maintain, as is the norm with most wooden products, timber doors bring a natural style and complement older properties well. It is essential to regularly paint or treat timber doors to ensure they stand up against the elements.
- Composite – These doors are made from a combination of two other materials. As such composite bifold doors can be stronger, more durable and easier to maintain than other options.
Factors affecting the cost to fit bifold doors
The above table includes average costs to install bifold doors, however the actual amount you will pay is impacted by a number of factors that we have summarised below: –
- Material – As we have discovered, the material that bifold doors are made with will largely affect the overall cost. For example, aluminium doors are much more costly than uPVC doors.
- Number of panels – Bifold doors are sold with differing numbers of panels depending on the size of the doorway you have. The more panels you need for your space, the higher the cost will be.
- Width and height – These doors are designed to fit in most spaces and as such are sold in different heights and widths. The larger your doorway, the more the cost to install bifold doors will be.
- Quality – Not every bifold door is created equal so choosing the right door will depend on your requirements and your budget. In general, the higher the quality of the bifold door, the higher the overall amount you will pay.
- Ease of access – With any installation that has difficult to reach areas, the cost will be greater than the average.
- Time – An important consideration is the time the installation takes. For more difficult or larger installations more time will be needed. As such this will increase the labour costs.
Find a builder near you
A very common location for bifold doors is at the back of the home, opening out onto the garden and patio. This is an excellent location, making the most of the home to garden transition and opening up the back wall of the house with clear views and natural light.
The cost of installing bifold patio doors starts at £900.
Cost of aluminium bifold doors
As we previously discussed, aluminium doors are stylish and need almost no maintenance. Unfortunately, this means a higher price although with so many benefits the price is more than worth the investment.
The cost of aluminium bifold doors with 3 – 5 panels ranges from £2,300 – £5,350.
Cost of uPVC bifold doors
Affordable and low maintenance, UPVC doors are extremely popular for good reason. With so many styles to choose from buyers are spoilt for choice.
The cost of UPVC bifold doors with 3 – 5 panels ranges from £1,650 – £4,300.
Cost of timber bifold doors
The perfect finishing touch for older homes, timber bifold doors encapsulate the beauty of nature but are very difficult to maintain. These doors must be protected against the elements with paint or treatments which can be difficult for those less able bodied.
The cost of timber bifold doors with 3 – 5 panels ranges from £1,400 – £5,500.
When choosing bifold doors it is important that the space they will fill is accurately measured. To ensure a perfect fit, bifold doors are sold in different sizes with some being custom made to fill less commonly sized space.
The average price to install bifold doors by size, based on standard materials, is as follows: –
- 6 foot doors – £2,150
- 8 foot doors – £2,350
- 10 foot doors – £2,650
How much does it cost to fit bifold doors?
When fitting bifold doors, tradespeople will usually work in pairs as the job can be arduous and is difficult for a single professional to do correctly. Labour costs will widely vary due to the size of the door, the type of door and the time required. The average labour cost to fit bifold doors is £800.
Can I install bifold doors myself?
When undertaking a job of this magnitude it is essential to ensure you have the skills to complete the installation. You should consider the following factors when making the decision whether to install bifold doors yourself: –
- Weight of doors – Large panels of glass are very heavy and if dropped may shatter, so a certain level of physical strength is crucial. Even professionals will often work in twos to ensure they can correctly install the doors.
- Difficulty of installation – Installing bifold doors is not a simple job. As such, anyone wishing to attempt this must have an in-depth knowledge of the process.
- Potential for injury – When working with these heavy, large objects there is a high potential for injury caused by dropping the glass panels.
- Damage to surroundings – If bifold doors are not correctly and safely installed they may fall and damage any object in the vicinity.
- Finish – When properly installed bifold doors look stylish and chic plus offer high security, however if not properly installed the appearance and security of your home will be compromised.
As the safety of you and your family is crucial and with the high potential for damage and injury, it is strongly recommended that you hire a professional.
To find a local, reputable, tradesperson in your area and get a personalised cost to install bifold doors use our free search feature.
Key takeaways for bifold door installation
- Bifold doors are available in timber, uPVC, aluminium and composite options.
- Installation usually takes less than a day but can take longer for larger doors.
- The cost to install bifold doors depends on many factors such as number of panels, type of material and time needed.
- Installing bifold doors is a tricky and dangerous job for those without proper training so it is recommended you do not install bifold doors yourself unless you are qualified.
Tell us what you think
What others think of this cost guide:
Need More Information?