An indoor or outdoor swimming pool will certainly maximise your enjoyment of your property and can add value to it too. Building an indoor and outdoor swimming pool is a dream for many of us, but how much does a swimming pool cost?
In this cost guide, we look at the average cost to build a swimming pool, including indoor and outdoor swimming pool costs.
Types of swimming pool
When deciding on an indoor or outdoor pool, you can choose from two types:
- Pre-built resin or fibre pools
- Poured or sprayed concrete pools
Pre-built resin or fibre pools
Pre-built pools are already constructed from materials such as fibreglass. The swimming pool is placed, fully-built, into a pre-dug hole. The benefits are that the pool is already constructed and water-tight. However, they only come in a limited range of standard shapes and sizes.
Pre-built resin and fibre pools are more flexible than concrete pools, which makes them more resistant to cracking. Average swimming pool installation costs are lower too.
Poured or sprayed concrete pools
Poured concrete pools are built by shuttering and pouring ready-mixed concrete to form a shell. Sprayed concrete pools use pressure sprayers to shoot concrete at high press at high speed onto the reinforcing steels.
The concrete is then sealed and finished with a layer of tiles. Poured or sprayed concrete pools can be built in all shapes and sizes, but they are more expensive to construct than pre-built resin and fibre pools.
Steps to build a swimming pool
Building a swimming pool is a complex process that typically follows the steps below:
- Excavation – digging out space for the swimming pool.
- Installing a pre-built pool or concrete shell.
- Tanking – the process of creating a watertight shell.
- Installation of the swimming pool liner or tiles.
- Fitting of the filtration system to keep the water clean.
- Installation of the heating system, fittings and pipework.
Find a swimming pool expert near you
Average costs to build a swimming pool
The prices below are for the installation of the pool itself, with a depth of 1.25 metres. The water in the swimming pool is heated, with a system to manage the temperature.
These prices do not include additional work and hidden pool costs that you may be required to pay, which are listed below.
|Cost provided||Unit||Cost range (low - high)||Average cost|
|Constructing an indoor swimming pool||Per job||£60,000 - £175,000||£115,000|
|Indoor swimming pool building cost||Per square metre||£1,500 - £2,000||£1,740|
|Constructing an outdoor swimming pool||Per job||£60,000 - £110,000||£85,000|
Indoor pool construction costs
An indoor pool will cost between £60,000 and £175,000 to construct. The average cost to build an indoor swimming pool is £115,000.
Average costs to build an outdoor pool
An outdoor pool will cost between £60,000 and £110,000 to construct. The average cost to build an indoor swimming pool is £85,000.
Additional swimming pool installation costs
Whether you are building an internal or external pool, there are significant other expenses that need to be considered and budgeted for, including:
- Design and planning
- Excavation work
- Any disruption to mains water or gas supplies
- Pool cover
- Making good any damage to your property or garden
If you are constructing a building to house the pool in, budget an average of £1,750 per square metre if you are constructing a new indoor swimming pool building.
It’s worth speaking to a specialist about the total cost of building a swimming pool and where you could make savings.
Factors that could affect swimming pool costs
The average costs to install a swimming pool can be affected by a variety of factors, such as:
- Size of the pool
- Method of construction
- Design costs
- Survey of land prior to building
- Type of soil or ground (if building an outdoor pool)
- Location in the house/garden
- The area you live in
- Access to the property, to pipework and to wastewater
Can I build a swimming pool myself?
Building a swimming pool is not a DIY job and could be dangerous if not done properly. Only work with an established and experienced professional.
Before going ahead you should speak to an experienced swimming pool builder who can assess your property and your proposed pool location. They can answer any questions you may have about the design and installation of your pool.
Swimming pool costs – key takeaways
- A professionally built indoor or outdoor swimming pool can add value to your property.
- You need to choose between a pre-built resin or fibre construction or a bespoke, poured concrete pool.
- The average cost to build an indoor pool is £115,000.
- The average cost to build an outdoor pool is £85,000.
- There are significant other costs that must be covered, such as excavation, design and planning and water access.
- Timescales depend on the size of the pool, construction type and other factors listed in the guide.
- All prices will be affected by a range of factors, including the size of pool, method of construction, your location and access to your property.
Tell us what you think
What others think of this cost guide:
Need More Information?