There are many scenarios where you may wish to have your locks changed. Some of these will be by choice, such as increasing security or to comply with insurance requirements, and others through necessity, such as following a break-in, after you lose your keys or even moving into a new home.
Fortunately, replacing your locks does not have to be an expensive, drawn-out process. Most locksmiths are available any time of day and out of hours, plus they usually have a range of new locks ready to be installed.
We have compiled the following guide to inform you of the average costs of replacing a lock and important factors that will affect this price.
The average cost to replace a standard Euro cylinder lock on a uPVC door is £100 plus the cost of labour.
How much does uPVC door lock replacement cost?
|uPVC replacement door lock costs||Unit||Cost +VAT (Range low-high)||Average cost|
|Locksmith changing a standard euro cylinder lock on a uPVC door||Per lock||£75 - £125||£100|
|Locksmith changing an anti-snap euro cylinder lock on a uPVC door||Per lock||£100 - £150||£125|
|Locksmith||Per hour||£50 - £95||£75|
|Locksmith out of hours||Per hour||£75 - £125||£100|
|Gain entry if locked out||Per job||£75 - £150||£115|
|uPVC patio door lock replacement||Per lock||£90 - £120||£110|
|Changing all the locks at a property||Per home||£400 - £600||£500|
Our costs are ballpark averages – get a local tradesperson to quote now
For a breakdown of each cost, we spoke to the online estimators at My Build Estimate – a professional estimating company monitored by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). This guide features the estimated average uPVC door lock change costs they provided.
Different types of uPVC door locks
It is easy to be confused by the multitude of locking mechanisms and structures on the market, however, there are two common locks used for uPVC doors:
Euro cylinder locks: These are very popular as they are extremely versatile, removing the cylinder is very easy and it is possible to use the same key with different cylinders for buildings with several offices.
Anti-snap euro cylinder locks: Whilst very similar to euro cylinder locks, these locks have one key difference, their security level. As they cannot be picked open and are tested against lock snapping and lock bumping, they have a much higher security rating.
Cost of uPVC door lock replacement
When calculating the cost to replace a uPVC door lock it is important to also consider the cost of labour if hiring a locksmith. For reference, the cost of simply buying a replacement uPVC door lock is from £75 – £125 for a standard euro cylinder lock and from £100 – £150 for an anti-snap euro cylinder lock.
Find a locksmith near you
Unfortunately, it is difficult to calculate the exact cost of replacing a uPVC door lock as there are many factors that need to be taken into account, including:
The standard: British Standard locks are certified by the BSI so will be stronger and more secure than non-British Standard locks, but more costly.
Time of day: If you are locked out and urgently need your lock replacing out of hours, this will incur an extra charge of approximately £25 – £35 per hour.
Brand of lock: Due to different levels of security and durability, depending on which brand you choose the costs may be higher than the average figure from the above table.
Labour costs: The time taken by the locksmith to replace your lock. It is often possible to agree on a price beforehand based on an estimate of the time required and as such you will pay that fixed cost no matter how long it takes. Complex jobs, such as replacing all the locks in a home, will take a lot longer.
Travel: In certain circumstances (e.g. if you require emergency assistance and the only locksmith available has to travel a large distance) you will be charged extra for the distance they travel.
Lock type: Multi lever locks will add to the overall cost of your replacement, priced between £150 – £250.
Please note, if lock parts are not readily available, it may be necessary to board up broken windows and doors until repairs can be made. This will include additional costs but is essential to keep your home safe.
How much does it cost to change a front door lock?
With such a wide range of locks available, beyond just locks for uPVC doors, it is difficult to exactly estimate the cost of replacing a front door lock.
The cost for this will be roughly between £100 – £200, however, taking into account the factors described in the previous section you will need to adjust this price accordingly.
If you’re looking to get a patio door lock replaced instead, this usually costs £90 – £120.
Find a locksmith near you
Security door lock replacement cost
Security doors are designed to be extremely difficult to break through. They are heavy and usually made of steel, with very secure and complex locks. Due to this, it is vital to hire a professional locksmith who will be able to give you an accurate cost for replacing a security door lock. The labour cost for a professional locksmith will usually be between £50 – £95.
As well as the costs for labour and the lock itself, it is important to budget for any additional costs that may arise when replacing your locks. These include:
- Gaining access if locked out. This can be a significant job depending on the ease of access and can cost around £75 – £150.
- Replacing broken windows or doors that are damaged when gaining entry to your home if you are locked out.
- Broken or snapped keys that are inside your door lock. These will need to be removed and will probably incur extra costs.
- If you have been burgled, you may choose to replace all the locks at a property. This costs around £400 – £600 depending on the locks used and amount of locks.
In certain circumstances, it may be possible to replace lost keys without changing your locks. In this case, you will be charged for the new keys and any call-out fees.
How long does it take to change a lock on a door?
The time taken to change door locks will vary based on the type of door you have, your existing locks, the new locks required and any damage to your door or lock that needs to be repaired. The average time taken is approximately 1 to 3 hours.
While it is possible to replace simpler locks yourself it is easy to do a poor job, putting your home security at risk. Below are the benefits of hiring a professional locksmith:
- Speed: Many locksmiths are available 24/7 and have fully equipped vans so are able to respond and resolve any issues you have in a flash.
- Security: It is a huge part of a locksmith’s job to be up-to-date on the latest security issues and technology. As such, they can advise you on the best type of lock for your requirements and then fit it to a high standard. This means you, your home and your property are as safe as possible.
- Experience: Most locksmiths are knowledgeable and experienced meaning they are prepared for any scenario and able to deal with a wide variety of locks.
How to choose a professional to replace your uPVC lock
To find a local, reputable, tradesperson in your area and get a personalised cost to replace your uPVC door lock use our free search feature.
Find a locksmith near you
Key takeaways for uPVC door lock installation
- The cost to change your door lock is affected by the brand, security and type of lock.
- It is worth asking for a quote upfront so you can be sure you will only need to pay a set amount no matter how long the work takes.
- Hiring a professional locksmith is definitely worth the cost as they are quick, efficient, knowledgeable and will complete the job to a high standard.
- There may be additional costs to consider such as repairing damaged windows, boarding up or removing broken keys from locks.
- Despite the extremely diverse locks on offer, when it comes to uPVC doors there are two main ones to consider; euro cylinder locks and anti-snap euro cylinder locks.
Find a locksmith near you
Also in this project
Cost to rekey locks
We all want to feel secure in our homes, and door locks provide one of the main ...
uPVC door repair cost guide
uPVC doors are a popular choice in the UK, thanks to the fact that they tend to ...
UPVC cleaning prices
Your UPVC window frames and doors will all need regular cleaning, along with gut...
Tell us what you think
What others think of this article:
Need More Information?