Over time your existing door frames can sag, stick and split, leaving you in a cold and uncomfortable home. Replacing a door frame is a simple job for a professional tradesperson and can improve your enjoyment and security of your home.
In this guide, we detail the costs to replace a door frame, including wooden doors, composite doors and metal doors.
Average cost to replace door frame
The average cost to replace a softwood internal door frame is £60.
The costs in this guide are based upon on single door, up to 900mm in diameter. The costs are to replace the frame, not replacing or refitting the door.
|Cost provided||Unit||Range (low - high)||Average cost|
|Replace door frame (wooden)||No||£80 - £100||£80|
|Replace door frame - composite||No||£100 - £125||£110|
|Replace door frame - metal||No||£125 - £175||£150|
|Replace internal door frame||No||£50 - £75||£60|
|Replace external door frame||No||£150 - £200||£175|
Different types of door frame
Door frames are made up of a selection of parts that allow your door to swing, open and close freely.
The visual part of a door frame are called the jambs. These are upright planks of wood (or other material) that sot along the insides of the door frame vertically and horizontally.
On external doors, the bottom of the door frame is called the sill. Inside the jambs are stops that stop the door from opening and closing.
The door frame structure itself is secured to the wall using waterproof glue and screws. Internal and external door frames can come with a variety of case designs to suit your property.
There are three types of door frame to choose from:
The total replace door frame cost will be affected by the type of door frame you choose and the material it is constructed from.
Internal door frames are typically constructed from softwood. External door frames can be wooden, composite or metal.
Find a trusted tradesperson near you
Common issues with door frames
Door frames can become damaged or distressed for several reasons, such as:
- Sticking – Changes in humidity can result in door frames to expand and contract, causing problems with opening and closing doors.
- Split door jambs – Door jambs can split as a result of being kicked, hit or damaged in other ways.
- Sagging – Sagging is a technical term for a door dropping within a door frame. Rather than the door being the problem, it’s likely to be the frame. Sagging doors can let in drafts and be unsafe.
- Drafts – Uneven door frames, including door frames that have warped, will allow drafts into the home.
As well as structural problems with a door frame, you may choose to replace older door frames because of how they look. Door frames can become damaged through wear and tear, and fitting different sized hinges can affect the look of doorframes, meaning a change may be in order.
The cost of replacing a door frame is low but can have a positive impact on how your property looks and feels.
Door frame replacement costs
Here are the door frame replacement costs you should expect to pay.
Cost of replacing internal door frames
The average cost of replacing an internal softwood door frame is £60.
It should take an expert tradesperson 2 – 3 hours to fit a new internal door frame.
Cost of replacing external door frame
The average cost of replacing an external door frame is £175.
While costs can vary, the average cost to fit a competitive door frame is £110. Replacing a metal door frame should cost around £150.
It should take an expert tradesperson 4 – 5 hours to fit a new external door frame.
Factors affecting door frame replacement cost
The total replacing door frame cost will be affected by several factors, including:
- Location – expect to pay more if you live in a city such as London.
- How many door frames are being fitted – If you’re replacing more than one door frame, the door frame replacement costs will be lower.
- Building type – You will pay more to replace door frames in a listed or historic building.
While replacing your door frame, there may be damage to the surrounding paintwork and plaster that may need to be covered. If you choose a wooden door frame, this will need to be painted or finished.
If you want your tradesperson to dispose of the old door frame or architraves that they are replacing, you should expect to pay for this.
Find a trusted tradesperson near you
Should I fit my own door frame?
Fitting a replacement door frame is a specialist job that demands precision. As well as replacing the door frame, in most cases your tradesperson will hang (or re-hang) the door, cutting new hinges and fitting all furniture to the frame.
Unless you are experienced, we recommend you leave door hanging to a professional – particularly for external doors.
You can find the UK’s largest selection of expert tradespeople at Checkatrade.
Key door frame replacement takeaways
- Replacing a door frame is a simple job for a tradesperson and can improve the look and enjoyment of your home.
- The average cost to replace an internal door frame is £60.
- The average cost to replace an external door frame is £175.
- It should take an expert tradesperson 2 – 3 hours to fit a new internal door frame.
Tell us what you think
What others think of this cost guide:
Need More Information?