Outdoor shower cost
Feeling inspired by Love Island and want your very own summer of… outdoor showering? Find out how you can turn your garden into a tropical paradise. We’ve done the hard work so you can see how easily you can make your garden your type on paper with a dreamy outdoor shower.
How much does an outdoor shower cost?
An outdoor shower can turn an ordinary mundane shower into an extraordinary one. Imagine listening to the birds in the fresh air as you lather up, ready to take on the day. If you’re lucky enough to have an outdoor pool or hot tub (or even a paddling pool – we see you!), then it’s the perfect place to wash off. An outdoor shower is also a great option for washing off dogs before letting them loose inside your home.
|Cost provided item||Unit||Cost - low||Cost - high||Average cost|
|Water pump||Per pump||£70||£250||£160|
Our costs are ballpark averages – get a local tradesperson to quote now
The cost of installing will depend on a range of factors such as:
- The size and style of your outdoor shower – is it free standing or fixed to a wall?
- Where you put your outdoor shower
- The complexity of the plumbing (you may need a new water line fitted)
- Flooring around the shower to avoid any slips
- Where you are in the UK (rates may vary)
The overall cost of installing your outdoor shower will include the cost of a plumber, who charge on average £40 – £60 per hour (or £320 – £375 per day), and an electrician who charge on average £45 an hour, or £225 a day. You will also need to factor in the cost of a water pump for low water pressure which can cost around £70 – £250, as well as the cost of the shower itself and the surround of the shower including the tiles.
As a ballpark cost, for an outdoor shower project, you’re looking at a cost of between £500 – £5,000.
Find a plumber near you
Where should I put my outdoor shower?
Before deciding where to place your outdoor shower, you need to think about what you’re going to be using it for. And by this, we mean, are you having a quick wash off after a dip in the hot tub/pool? Are you washing your muddy dog? Or are you going to be fully embracing taking your showers in the great outdoors?
You also need to be realistic about how practical the placement is for plumbing. Generally, the closer the shower is to the house, the easier it is to plumb in. If you’re able to put the shower at the side of your house, then this is even better for access to existing hot and cold water lines.
You also need to think about drainage for your shower. A professional will be able to advise you on whether you need a proper drainage system built or if you can divert a runoff into the garden.
Top tip: Consider putting a cap over the top of the drain to stop leaves and other debris blocking it.
There are many benefits of installing an outdoor shower, including:
- Adding value to your home
- Can help keep you cool during a heatwave
- Keeping your hot tub/pool clean
- Cleaning off muddy pets…and people!
Outdoor shower maintenance
As with anything, in order to keep your outdoor shower working to its best, you will need to make sure you do regular maintenance. This includes:
- Keeping the shower dry: It sounds silly because it’s a shower, but, like a regular shower, you need to keep the area as dry as possible to stop any mould and mildew. A good way to tackle this is to install the shower where there is direct sunshine.
- Cleaning the shower: Like an indoor shower, your outdoor shower will require regular cleaning, especially with the added extra of dirt and debris potentially landing on it.
- Protecting the pipes from freezing: As with all outdoor pipes, you need to make sure that the pipes are either buried or insulated so that the winter months don’t cause costly damage.
- The overall cost of installing an outdoor shower will depend on a range of factors, but in general, budget up to £5,000 for your project.
- Like an indoor shower, your outdoor shower will require regular maintenance and cleaning.
- An outdoor shower has the potential to add value to your home.
- Think about how you would like the surroundings of your shower to be. Take a look at our Love Island Garden cost guide for inspiration.
Find a plumber near you
Good jobs, guaranteed
Get covered when you book with Checkatrade.