Is your staircase more “yawn” than “wow”? An excellent way to transform tired and dull staircases is by replacing the carpet.
As this is usually the first thing guests see when entering your home, create a lasting impression with our innovative stair carpet ideas.
A great way to brighten up a staircase is with a brightly coloured carpet. Bold designs work well too, particularly with a neutral backdrop.
Whether you’re replacing a worn, damaged carpet, or just looking for an update, keep reading for a range of fresh, exciting stair carpet ideas.
Stair carpet designs
While choosing plain stair carpets is always an option, particularly for minimalist households, there are a huge range of different staircase carpet designs available.
It is important to choose a design that complements your interior scheme, although a bright, intricate design can really uplift a dark staircase. A few of the options to choose from include:
- Zig zags
- Tribal patterns
- Animal print
- Polka dots
Modern stair carpet ideas
A style that is popular today, modern design schemes work well in any size and layout of the home. Keeping up with modern stair carpet ideas can be tricky, so here are three great tips to get you started:
- Stick to monochromatic shades, including white, grey, black and silver. White and black in particular work well together.
- If you are feeling brave, pair a black or grey stair runner with white painted stairs for a beautiful contrast that embodies the modern theme.
- Use a minimalistic design, for example plain or using only 1 – 2 colours, like grey and white.
How about striped stair carpet?
Striped stairs can be found in many homes throughout the country and are a great way of adding elegance and sophistication. When looking for striped stair carpet ideas, consider the following:
- Choose a striped stair runner instead of a full carpet. Using stairs painted in light colours can really showcase gorgeous stair runners.
- For short stairs, use vertical stripes to make your staircase seem longer. Horizontal stripes can also be used to widen narrow staircases.
- Depending on how bold or subtle you want the appearance of your staircase to be, consider using striped colours that either complement or clash with each other.
Hall and staircase carpet
Chances are that your staircase will be connected to a hallway. This offers a fantastic opportunity to use carpeting to work with both spaces and create a stunning finishing effect.
Below is a range of hall and staircase ideas for when you are looking for new carpeting:
- Use similar colours and/or styles throughout your hallway and staircase to create a seamless carpeted transition between the two areas.
- If you decide to use a carpet pattern, consider both the hallway and stairs to choose a design that will complement both spaces.
- Consider using bright and bold colours to give your hallway and staircase a striking lift.
Alternatives to carpet
We hope that the above stair carpet ideas will help you to choose the perfect carpet to match and/or enhance your staircase. However, there are some situations where an alternative material would be a better choice. This is especially true if you have pets who are stubbornly resistant to toilet training or have frequent shedding.
Carpets are by far the comfiest flooring option, but the below options also have their own benefits:
By clicking on any of the above links you can learn more about these options.
Also in this project
How much does carpet fitting cost?
When you’re planning to fit a new carpet, it’s important to work out your bu...
What are professional carpet cleaning prices?
Getting your carpet professionally cleaned can help to revitalise your room, con...
New staircase cost guide
Whether you’ve just bought a new property that needs renovating, or the stairs...
Tell us what you think
What others think of this article:
No comments yet!
Need More Information?